In October
I went to go visit my sister who is studying abroad in Paris, and I thought it
would be a good opportunity for me to visit a few art museums since the history
of art in Paris is so rich and important. I visited Musee d’Orsay, which was
the museum I was most excited for since I am a big fan of impressionistic art,
and the museum held the biggest selection of impressionistic art that I have ever
seen. It’s exciting to recognize the paintings of an artists work, and I loved
them all, but I had two favorite paintings named Portrait of Eugene Boch by Vincent Van Gough’s and the other Nuit d’ete by Winslow Homer’s.
Vincent Van
Gogh was an impressionistic painter from 1880-1890. He is known for his bold
colors and unique broken brush strokes. He started drawing as a young child and
began oil painting when he was in his twenties. He was mainly self taught as an
artist, then was later officially taught by his cousin Anton Mauve, who was a
teacher at an art school. He thought that it was important to master painting
in black and white before he moved on to color, which I thought was interesting
to know because he definitely wasn’t scared to use bold colors. Apparently he
wasn’t a very well known artist and few people took a liking to his work until
much later. I had never seen any of Van Gogh’s paintings until I went to Musee
d’Orsay and I instantly loved almost every one. Something about the vibrant
colors he used in the Portrait of Eugene
Boch really captures my attention. Seeing this painting up close is even
more amazing than in any picture book, his brush strokes were so thick almost
creating a texture to the painting. He was very smart when it came to his color
palate because of the use of complementary colors.
Winslow
Homer was an American artist who learned to draw at a Lithography shop that he
worked at, at the age of 19. He started as an illustrator in the 19th
century drawing for illustrated weekly magazines, which is where he made most
of his money. He learned at a design school where he took a few painting
classes. He eventually moved to Maine, which was the place that inspired his
stormy seascape paintings. At Musee d’Orsay I managed to find the one homer
painting in the museum called Nuit d’ete.
This painting was very rich in color with the sudden peeks of turquoise that
were surrounded by dark shadows making the colors pop. Even though this
painting depicts a dark night with the waves crashing you can still get a sense
of softness as the moon reflects off the water leading down to the two dancers.
I have duplicated a seascape painting by Homer a few years ago, which made me
appreciate Homers work in person even more than I would have if I hadn’t. I
personally love his work because I have a continuing obsession with seascapes
and the colors turquoise and sea foam green, which he often uses in his
paintings.
![]() |
|
Portrait of Eugene Bach, Vincent
Van Gogh, 1888
|
![]() |
|
Nuit d’ete, by Winslow Homer, 1890, oil painting
|


No comments:
Post a Comment